Custom themes in Bludit 4 - how to make them work?

susannemcom
Ssr. Bludit

Hi there!
After some testing of Bludit 4, I'm looking into using Bludit instead of WordPress for some of my web projects. I've made a custom theme (and plan to make more) built on BlogX, but when I change to it, I get the message that I need the plugin for BlogX. If I use the original BlogX theme, I don't get this, and I don't have a BlogX plugin. How can I set up the theme so that it just works out of the box?

What I've done is that I've edited the theme (this is the only way I know how to do it in Bludit, don't know a way to make child themes à la WP), and changed the folder name and the theme name in the language file. What am I missing?
Edi
Site Admin

Have you changed the theme Blog X for Bludit 4?
Clickwork - Websites mit Bludit | Planet Bludit - Tipps und Snippets
susannemcom
Ssr. Bludit

Yes, the one that comes in the latest Beta version.
Edi
Site Admin

I have not yet a lot of experience with Bludit 4.

There is a plugin for the theme Blog X in the plugin directory. Have you deactivated the original theme Blog X?

It could be a name issue, but I don't know.

You can also PM me the modified theme, and I will have a look at it.
susannemcom
Ssr. Bludit

I don't see the BlogX plugin in the directory, if you mean the list on plugins.bludit.com?

Right now the theme (any version) is in a terrible state because I've been testing a lot of things! I'm a designer, not a programmer... sadly. I wish I was both.
But I'll wait and see and will get in touch when it's more ready unless I've found an answer then. The problem only occurs if I rename the new theme so for now, I'm using it as BlogX (but only in development on a local server so far).
Edi
Site Admin

susannemcom wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 11:19 am I don't see the BlogX plugin in the directory, if you mean the list on plugins.bludit.com?
You can find it in the directory /bl-plugins of your installation. It depends of the name of the theme.
susannemcom
Ssr. Bludit

Thank you! I found it in the plugins folder, but it doesn't show up in the plugin list in the admin panel.
When I enable the original BlogX theme (not renamed), then I have a settings link that will give me an option about Google fonts. If I enable a renamed version of BlogX (for example BlogX 2), and click the settings link, then I'm taken to the plugin list.

Is this supposed to be reported in Github or is it not normal to create custom themes from an existing theme? Should I instead just wait and see after the stable release is ready, and then use a Skeleton theme (like is described in the Bludit docs) for Bludit 4?

Or is there another "best practice" on how to create themes or child themes with Bludit?
Edi
Site Admin

The "best practice" is:
  1. Make a copy for example of the theme Blog X.
  2. Modify the file metadata.json and use for example "plugin": "blogx2" instead of "plugin": "blogx" (line 10).
  3. Load the theme in a directory for example blogx2 on the server.
  4. Copy the plugin blogx and give it the name blogx2.
  5. Modify the file plugin.php and use class blogx2 extends Plugin instead of class blogx extends Plugin (line 3).
susannemcom
Ssr. Bludit

Thank you!
kohbarg
Sr. Bludit

Edi wrote: Mon Dec 20, 2021 9:54 pm The "best practice" is:
  1. Make a copy for example of the theme Blog X.
  2. Modify the file metadata.json and use for example "plugin": "blogx2" instead of "plugin": "blogx" (line 10).
  3. Load the theme in a directory for example blogx2 on the server.
  4. Copy the plugin blogx and give it the name blogx2.
  5. Modify the file plugin.php and use class blogx2 extends Plugin instead of class blogx extends Plugin (line 3).
Don't forget to rename the Theme-Name in
/languages/xx_XX.json