Beta 6 Finds & Suggestions

jmonroe
Sr. Bludit

I think the Admin panel should say

Add New Content

Under Advanced, Status is either Blog Post, Static, Draft

This causes confusion and for a new Bludit user, how are they to know where to look for new blog post, or that they need to select the status Published to make it appear as a blog post.

Settings-->Advanced Settings

Predefined Pages & Website or Blog Sections can be made into 1 section
Think about this, if you select a page that was created as the homepage, then there is no need to select Order content by because the site will now act as a website versus a blog.

Selecting Order Content By Date vs Position does not constitute a blog vs a website. It simply lists post created in the position they were originally written, but it still is in a blog like format with each post listed under each other.

Plugins
Category Plugin Settings:

What is this? NO AVAILABLE: Categories without content
NO AVAILABLE: Show the categories without content

Change this to Hide Categories without content: Enable or Disabled

Links:

What is this? NO AVAILABLE: Add a new link

What is NO AVAILABLE? Please explain and I will try to correct it grammatically in English for you.

Fixed Pages & Pages plugins are almost identical. Need to remove one or the other or justify why they are different. Both have option to enable/disable and show home link.

Timemachine:

Really love this idea but one thing to fix is NO AVAILABLE again. Let's figure this out and fix that. Also, one thing to think about, I am not sure it really matters, but Apple's software to restore systems to a past time/date is called Time Machine. Not sure if there is any issues there but a point I wanted to mention.

Version:

Love this plugin also. If it will update Bludit based on new releases, that would be great. Just make sure Timemachine can rollback to previous version in case of an issue.

Last thing, I have this error in my sidebar and not sure why. It has something to do with the Links and Categories and Pages sections that were on the beta3

Fatal error: Call to undefined method dbPages::getFixedDB() in /public_html/transcribr.net/bl-plugins/fixed-pages/plugin.php on line 45

Line 45:
$pages = $dbPages->getFixedDB();

Seems to referencing what used to be there or labeled differently now? Not sure. I will try to disable the Fixed pages plugin and re-enable and see what happens.

Disabling Fixed Pages plugins makes the sidebar work properly again.

Sections:

Pages
Menu
Links
Categories

Links and Categories are working now. I think for Menu you should rethink that as it just a list of Category Name and Post Name. That's not a real menu nor a typical Menu used on Sites or Blogs and you already have the Pages section on the sidebar which list the posts whether a blog post or a static page.

Also, if you enable Order content by Position the font of the names of the pages under Pages section on sidebar is bigger font than if you select Order content by Date. Try it and see what I mean.
Jeremy Monroe
I Support Bludit via Patreon
diego
Site Admin

Add New Content
Could be the best solution for this mixed posts and pages, at the beginning I did this way, but there are some users complain about this and they want pages.
Under Advanced, Status is either Blog Post, Static, Draft
This need to be, Published, Static, Draft, because the page could be a real page, and the status is published.
Settings-->Advanced Settings

Think about this, if you select a page that was created as the homepage, then there is no need to select Order content by because the site will now act as a website versus a blog.
Is possible to have a homepage and a blog (content order by date).
Selecting Order Content By Date vs Position does not constitute a blog vs a website. It simply lists post created in the position they were originally written, but it still is in a blog like a format with each post listed under each other.
Is only a TIP for the user, if you order the pages by dates is similar to a blog.., if you have a suggestion to change the TIP for the user please tell me.
NO AVAILABLE
This is just a message I have to see which phrase or words are missing in the language file, I going to add this word to the dictionary.
Timemachine
This is the first approach to this plugin and I would like on the future add more stuff to them; when you mention Apple, you mean if possible to have some problem with them? :D
Fatal error: Call to undefined method dbPages::getFixedDB() in /public_html/transcribr.net/bl-plugins/fixed-pages/plugin.php on line 45
The problem is to change the name "FIxed pages" to "Static pages", the plugin too, and the plugin "Fixed pages" need to be deleted.
About Menu plugin
Is similar to a Menu, any idea to change the name of the plugin ?
jmonroe
Sr. Bludit

I don't think you understood some of the points I made. Either that, or I didn't understand you. There is some repetition in the backend and some unnecessary as well. Maybe Edi will check in and take a look at my points and give his opinion as well.
Jeremy Monroe
Edi
Site Admin

jmonroe wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2017 2:59 am I don't think you understood some of the points I made. Either that, or I didn't understand you.
Which points do you mean?
Clickwork - Websites mit Bludit | Planet Bludit - Tipps und Snippets
diego
Site Admin

What I did for the moment:

1) I changed the "New page" for "New content"
2) I changed the "Edit page" for "Edit content"
3) I changed the "Manage page" for "Manage content"
4) Plugin Categories, I changed "Show the categories without content" for "Hide Categories without content"
5) I changed "SCHEDULED PAGES" for "SCHEDULED CONTENT"
6) I changed "DRAFT PAGES" for "DRAFT CONTENT"
7) Plugin page, can I change it for Plugin content or Plugin list of content ?
8) Plugin fixed pages is changed for Static pages
9) Plugin version is good idea to activate by default ?
jmonroe
Sr. Bludit

Thanks for the responses. I think this will help clear some things up. I am trying to think outside the box as a new Bludit user would. And I can start using it right away without reading a bunch of documentation, makes Bludit even more appealing.

In regards to #7, I am not sure what you are asking.
In regards to #8, so Fixed Pages Plugin will be eliminated now? If so, great.
In regards to #9, I think Version plugin is great just as it is. I'd say leave it activated by default.

In regards to this:

Selecting Order Content By Date vs Position does not constitute a blog vs a website. It simply lists post created in the position they were originally written, but it still is in a blog like format with each post listed under each other.

Did you give any of this any thought? If not, please read it or read it again and see if it makes sense to you. Seems like something can be changed. Not sure exactly what, but just thoughts that came to my mind.

Is there an updated version of beta6 Pro that I can download, test, and review? Thanks for listening. This is what is making Bludit great. Your openess to take suggestions and time out of your busy schedule to explain, plan, and execute great application.
Jeremy Monroe
Edi
Site Admin

Two thoughts...

1) Working on the German translation, and now changing "Seite" (page) to "Inhalt" (content), I became insecure using the terms.

Personally I prefer "content". But if I "think outside the box as a new Bludit user would", I would for example rather add, edit or delete a page, which is in fact a page with an own URL, instead of handling some content.

Also a blog post is for a CMS a page. Crucial for a blog is only that the output is sorted by date instead of having a structure (with a navigation).

2) Therefore perhaps "Display by date"/"Display by structure" would be better to understand than "Order content by date"/"Order content by position".
jmonroe
Sr. Bludit

Point #1 is richtig. I agree 100%

Point #2, I think that does sound better. However, my main point is in regards to Predefined Pages should only be related to Static Pages and made clear in the backend. The Website or Blog Section heading I think should be removed and just be either Display by date (Blog) or Display like a website. I think that would even be better. Honestly, what is the new Bludit (non-technical) user going to say when he/she sees Display by structure? What structure? What does that mean? And unless they try it out, the won't know.

I am trying to get it simplified as possible because it's proven fact that most people have short attention span for something new especially if they are trying to accomplish something. Not many take the time to read the manual. They try it, like it, buy it or they try it, can't understand it, and move on.

30 seconds to capture the audience otherwise, they're gone.
Jeremy Monroe
Mark
Ssr. Bludit

jmonroe wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 1:26 am I am trying to get it simplified as possible... They try it, like it, buy it or they try it, can't understand it, and move on.

30 seconds to capture the audience otherwise, they're gone.
As a soon to be new user, I agree 100%. I have held off for a year partly because I was trying to figure out what Bludit terminology is versus the rest of the world. Standard terminology is a must. ;)

Frankly this is shaping up to be a very simple to use but powerful CMS, especially for content creators! :D Thank you!
Edi
Site Admin

Mark wrote: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:20 pm Standard terminology is a must. ;)
The problem: There is no standard terminology.

I collected some time ago some data:

CMS Terminology