Contact3 SMTP Issues (Provider Block)

field8
Ssr. Bludit

Hi,

I have a Bludit site and I install the contact3 plugin. When I set my cPanel provider's credentials (SMTP host, port, username, password from cPanel) all looks fine and works but I want to set a external SMTP email account for security reasons, I try a SMTP-replay on mailjet and my hosting provider refuse the connection. Additionally, i try some other providers such as Gmail, Yandex and nothing works. I send a ticket to support and tell me that I should use a email account with authentication and suggest me to use a cPanel email account. They tell me that server default mail, local-relay is not allowed, triggers spam blacklists. So is any method to use external SMTP, maybe a configuration on PHPMailer of contact3 plugin or use another software/script for sending all mails from a different server for security?

Thank you
novafacile
Master Bludit

Hi,

in Contact3 settings you can set any local or external email provider as you wish.

It's important, that you set the correct combination of port and encryption. This depends on the email provider.

Also it depends on email provider, wich email sender adress you can use. Some hosts require an email address known on the server. In this case, you can't use the visitors adress and you have to choose between the recipients address or a special sender email address as the sender. This you can also set in the Contact3 settings.

Did you test the different settings? Unfortunatly every email provider has his own configuration.
field8
Ssr. Bludit

Hi, thank you for reply.

I have tested all ports combinations with/without encryptions STARTLS/SSL/none for providers: Gmail, Yandex, Mailjet and nothing works. Also I have test the same mails credentials on another host that accept all connections and all works, so I do not have any problems with mails providers but from the initial host). Also, I have set a specific sender mail and not visitor's send address. So what I can do? Its any configuration for any external mail provider to send directly externally without use the host? Any trick?

(Sorry for my bad english :? )
novafacile
Master Bludit

Hmm, I'm not sure if I understand what do you mean.

If you set an external smtp server in the Contact3 settings, than php connects directly to the external server and doesn't use the local mail server.

Because of the technical way how php works (it runs on a server) the php requests to the external mail server runs throw the servers network to the external server and if there is something blocked or your server itself is listed on a blacklist/spamlist it could be a problem. But I'm not sure if this is your problem.

Do you have access to the php error messages?
field8
Ssr. Bludit

Hi, I am on a shared hosting with cPanel so I dont know if I have access to PHP logs (if you known maybe the location of log files or some option on cPanel, tell me). Hmm so if is directly connection to mail so maybe my host block some mail providers? I have terminal access so I shoud ping or check the ports (if allow me) for these external services. (?)
field8
Ssr. Bludit

Additionally, to give you more information about the problem on a WordPress site on the same host I try some simple plugins to connect with a SMTP server of Gmail account and Yandex (the free domain mail service) and these ways fail to connect. So in this case I have installed a plugin (WP Mail SMTP by WPForms) and connect this with a project on Google Console Cloud and with Gmail API I connect my WordPress site to my Gmail account and I send mails with this way, all other ways are blocked! I have try a lot of plugins and I have the same result, blocking connection. So, I search a similar solution or some trick to connect.
novafacile
Master Bludit

Okay, this seems to be a problem by your host. I recommend to use an other hosting provider, because this restrictions are not common ;)
field8
Ssr. Bludit

Yeap, this is the best solution.
novafacile
Master Bludit

Is your provider GoDaddy? They have very strict constraints on sending an email.
field8
Ssr. Bludit

Hi, no is black.host my provider, and yes it has the same restriction with GoDaddy, I hear from a friend.