The concept of "default", "sticky" and "static" content is confusing (and where does "scheduled" and "draft" fit in?)

johannesh19
Ssr. Bludit

Hello everyone!

After some toying around with Bludit I quite like the software. However, there are some quirks that make its use IMO unneccessarily complicated/confusing. I'll address some of those in this and other posts (in order not to mix up subjects).

One thing that bothers me is the classification of content as "- Default -", "Sticky" or "Static". To be frank, I find it somewhat illogical and confusing, and apparently I'm not the only one (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1085). I suppose there are historic reasons, but for a "newbie" like me it looks like Bludit isn't sure if it wants to be a CMS or a blog software.

Right now, I'm thinking of a way to make the use more intuitive. I see multiple problems:
  1. Terminology: "- Default -" basically is a blog post, while "Static" is a page (or static page). Those are the names used in other CMS and probably the names one would be looking for.
  2. Hierarchy of classification: "Sticky" content is basically the same as "- Default -" but with one special attribute (the position). "Static" content however is of another characteristic, outside the blog post family.
    According to my understanding, "Static" content could be considered on the same level in an organigram as the blog main page, whereas "- Default -" and "Sticky" content are sub elements of the Blog page.
    "Scheduled" and "Draft" however are not content types on their own but properties of the aforementioned content types.
    Seeing those five things as equivalent menu items is somewhat confusing.
  3. Unclear user interface: The decision whether new content is "- Default -", "Sticky" or "Static" is pretty fundamental. However, to make the choice I have to go to "Options" and then to "Advanced" for something which I would expect at least under "General" if not at the top of the page.
I'll post this for now as it is late where I live and I have already spent two hours on this post. Tomorrow I'll continue with some ideas on how to make the whole thing maybe more intuitive.
johannesh19
Ssr. Bludit

(continued)

I have been thinking for a while about how the handling of Bludit could be made clearer and more intuitive. A concept similar to that used by the CMS "Website Baker" would probably be the ideal solution:

There you have different types of content: apart from "empty" sections for user-defined content (i.e. what you write in TinyMCE), there are also different (individually configurable) functional elements: contact form, gallery, blog, download list, sitemap and so on.

It then becomes interesting with the following: When you create a new page, you can define different sections on this page and configure each section individually. A page can thus consist of, for example:
  1. a section of user-defined content
  2. a function element section
  3. another function element section.
  4. (further sections of whatever you want)
This would make it possible, for example, to have a contact page consisting of:
  1. the address and telephone number (in a user-defined section), after that
  2. the contact form and finally
  3. a map for directions.
Compared to the current Bludit logic, "sticky" content could then be represented by a section of user-defined content above a blog element section.

If someone wants to have a pure blog, they create a single page and insert a single section, namely blog. (Or they spice it up with a contact form and other user-def content below.)

This structure would have other advantages:
  • Plug-ins such as galleries, contact form and so on could be inserted as self-contained sections, which probably simplifies their development and maintenance–but certainly their use.
  • The use of e.g. several contact forms would be possible ( for example, separate contact forms for sales, service and recruiting on a company website), because each individual occurrence can be provided with a different settings and thus different target mail address.
    The same applies to blogs or other elements.
  • Sections could probably be defined as "published" or "draft" or "hidden" or "visible only to logged-in users" or whatever individually. This would make the development and expansion of a website very convenient and clear, e. g. by replacing a section by another one with updated content on a live site.
  • A section does not necessarily need to be a "block" between two other sections. It could also have a height of 0 and e. g. control a small chat window in the bottom right of the website. The section model could serve to include all kinds of plugins into a page. (Admittedly, that would no longer be very intuitive, but it would be powerful.)
I understand that the introduction of such a structure would be a major intervention in the system. On the other hand, it would be a big step forward for usability and versatility.

I'm curious to read your opinions and ideas about the subject.

Regards,
Johannes

Dear devs: Structuring technical content, simplifying complex things and designing user interfaces is my everyday job. I'm not much of a programmer yet, but if I can contribute to the development of Bludit in any other way, let me know.
cobber
Master Bludit

Just started looking into Bludit and am very impressed. However I do have to agree with you regarding your comments in relation to 'confusing terminology' such as sticky.

I'm still investigating the cms and think it has huge potential.

I think that we need a few more examples on the best approach to using Bludit for a traditional website rather than a blog.

I used to use GetSimple extensively but it lacks in many areas.
Bludit seems to fill those gaps well however I think the devs could be looking at the interface and thinking outside the blog scope
Edi
Site Admin

johannesh19 wrote: Fri Mar 26, 2021 11:37 pm One thing that bothers me is the classification of content as "- Default -", "Sticky" or "Static". To be frank, I find it somewhat illogical and confusing, and apparently I'm not the only one (viewtopic.php?f=19&t=1085).
All published text, images etc. (or saved as draft) is content.

Content can be used
  • as page,
  • as post,
  • as section (when using a one page theme).
This means that Bludit can be used as
  • website with pages or sections,
  • blog,
  • blog with some pages.
If you start using Bludit you can use it as website or blog, both with the type "Default".

If you want a blog with pages you can set some content as type "static."
  • Unclear user interface: The decision whether new content is "- Default -", "Sticky" or "Static" is pretty fundamental. However, to make the choice I have to go to "Options" and then to "Advanced" for something which I would expect at least under "General" if not at the top of the page.
Bludit 4 will have a new interface. You can participate in the discussion at

https://github.com/bludit/bludit/issues/1057
Clickwork - Websites mit Bludit | Planet Bludit - Tipps und Snippets
Edi
Site Admin

johannesh19 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 10:14 pm There you have different types of content: apart from "empty" sections for user-defined content (i.e. what you write in TinyMCE), there are also different (individually configurable) functional elements: contact form, gallery, blog, download list, sitemap and so on.
This describes how a page builder works. Bludit is not a page builder.

What you named as functional elements can be done in an easy way with plugins, default hooks or custom hooks.
Clickwork - Websites mit Bludit | Planet Bludit - Tipps und Snippets