New plugin type? Extensions

bayerberg
Master Bludit

I've been writing small plugins for Bludit for a while now. Mostly simple stuff which isn't so hard to do. Started on something more elaborate - plugin for marketers. It includes integration with Mailchimp, stats proviers, Facebook Pixel, live chats... the list goes on. Wanted do weave it into Bludit properly but without fiddling with kernel files its not possible.

Can we have something called Extensions? A form of plugin that would allow deeper integration with kernel files (in some instances overwriting parts of how db files work). In essence - a faster way of adding custom form fields :) Usually I do that by hand but its tricky to keep everything updated when new Bludit versions pop up.
bludit plugins and themes - makeitblu | I do things, check them out on behance and dribbble.
Edi
Site Admin

bayerberg wrote: Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:09 pm It includes integration with Mailchimp, stats proviers, Facebook Pixel, live chats... the list goes on. Wanted do weave it into Bludit properly but without fiddling with kernel files its not possible.
I do not understand what MailChimp, external stats or Facebook Pixel has to with the kernel. What are you trying to do?

There are already several hooks to extend the admin theme:

https://docs.bludit.com/en/plugins/hooks-list
Clickwork - Websites mit Bludit | Planet Bludit - Tipps und Snippets
bayerberg
Master Bludit

I want to extend $page->content(); for example.

If I would be able to add extra content to that part and be able to add custom form fields to the editor (extra tab in Bludit 3.x.x) that would be awesome.

Why extension instead of plugin? Cause that extension would handle extra data (sometimes external api provided/confidential) and extend the functionality of core functions of the cms.

For example - integration with https://gumroad.com . I want to enable anyone to post their inventory in as easy way possible. It would be nice to add Gumroad tab to the editor and add similar options to those available in their panel - overlay customisation options, discover settings, general product information. This requires custom fields. Looks like its an easy way of adding a shopping basket and checkout functionality. There would be different options for published, sticky and static pages.
published page - standard buy button only
sticky page - possibility of integration with stat providers or facebook pixel
static page - full landing page options, all goes.

When this is done I need to display it in a way that most themes would be able to handle it. This is where extension of $page->content(); comes in. I need to attach couple of things at the end/beginning and style them so they look nice. If I would do it via normal plugin I would compete with other plugins for space (via Theme::plugins()). If extension would be able to read content first there could be possibilities of weaving gumroad functionality even more tightly.

Customisation of /admin would be nice as well. Anything from dashboard panel to a custom general settings area link in the sidebar. If there would be a Gumroad button in menu options we would skip at least one click for quicker access. Settings area could be more than one page and handle anything from trivial usernames to api keys and all.

Folder structure
  • db-extensions
    • gumroad [folder]
      • languages [folder]
        overwrites [folder]
        admin [folder]
        js [folder] - optional
        images [folder] - optional
        css [folder] - optional
        api [folder] - optional, when provided by SaaS
        metadata.json
        functions.php
        extension.php
Couple of rules.
- there could be one extension running at one time.
- each extension should have the same folder structure
- each extension would be vetted by Bludit creator (for security reasons). This wouldnt be for free of cource
- extensions would be fully commercial. If you want a free cms you have Bludit, if you want Bludit to do specific things you need in connection with your work you need to pay the developer of the extension for it ;) Minimum of $5 would be nice, looking at Wordpress plugins that fetch northwrds of $100 it wouldnt be much. Exception to that rule can be added if said extension would be provided by SaaS itself (hmm... Amazon Bludit extension by Amazon.com ;) )

Extending extensions with plugins?
Yep, if there would be a way of adding extra functionality to the extension by using plugins that would open up opportunities for all developer to work on successful extensions (and getting payed). It can be done safely enough when theres an API provided by SaaS

I know most of this is doable the old fashion way. I want to do it more self-contained way :)

Looking for a way to make Bludit more popular with regular folk. If we would do a couple of integrations via Extensions there would be more chances to get more people on board. Not talking about devs - non tech web monkeys like youtubers, marketers, amazon/ ebay sales. Somebody that needs a CMS, functionality of their favourite platform they are active on (youtube/ twitch/ amazon/gumroad), couple of plugins to add a bit of flair and thats it.

Possible target markets
- vloggers/ video content producers
youtube is moody, unstable when rules are concerned. A lot of people want to have an easy way of creating their site, posting their video content there and directing all traffic to those posts. Vlogger extension with easy video embeds instead of $page->coverImage() or in $page->description(), deeper stats gathering integration and ecommerce/ patreon related functions would be a 100% hit.

- landing page for lead generation
marketters would kill for something like this that cheap and doesnt require a database or annual plan that fetches upwards of $500. Facebook Pixel, Mailchimp email-list signup form, google analytics. Done. I'm writing this as a plugin, hope ill be able to do everything I planned in a way plugins can handle it but if not an extension type thing would be perfect :)
bludit plugins and themes - makeitblu | I do things, check them out on behance and dribbble.
Cranchy
Jr. Bludit

As far as I know, MailChimp is used for email marketing. And MailChimp is one of the best software for sending a lot of emails at a time.
bayerberg
Master Bludit

yep, it has and API and a ton of integration possibilities to sear in a website ;) I'm talking about creating a deep integration, targeted at marketers who now use services like unbounce.com
Cranchy
Jr. Bludit

bayerberg wrote: Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:40 am yep, it has and API and a ton of integration possibilities to sear in a website ;) I'm talking about creating a deep integration, targeted at marketers who now use services like unbounce.com
Yeah, you are right! And this one (mailchamp) is one of the best email marketing software. Both helpful for the new and old uers.