Menu item(s) from Categories in the navbar

geonao
Ssr. Bludit

Sat Jun 30, 2018 6:43 pm

Edit:
It would be nice to be able to assign Category as a menu item in navbar.
I prefer FreeBSD :evil:
Edi
Site Admin

Sun Jul 01, 2018 12:47 am

If the theme has a sidebar you can use the plugin Categories.

Which theme do you use?
Planet Bludit, Tipps, Snippets und nützliche Links. - Newsletter, Informationen zu Bludit (auf Deutsch).
geonao
Ssr. Bludit

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:18 am

I'm using Blog X theme.

I'm referring to a similar feature of the CMS like the "Static Page"
So, what I meant was to be able to add Category item, from list in Categories to the (top) navbar
just like the "Static Page" does. I'm aware of the Categories sidebar.

Edit:
Basically, I'm looking for a feature that will allow me to list multiple pages from the top navbar menu :)
Edi
Site Admin

Mon Jul 02, 2018 12:33 pm

Can you please give an example for this.
Planet Bludit, Tipps, Snippets und nützliche Links. - Newsletter, Informationen zu Bludit (auf Deutsch).
geonao
Ssr. Bludit

Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:07 pm

I was trying to understand the navigation logic of the links to the menu items, in the side bar and top navbar of the CMS.

So, the “Static Page” plugin creates (2) two menu items from the Static Page(s) – one in the Side Bar menu and another in the top navbar, and the Home Page menu item, in the side bar only that lists all published pages.

I just don’t understand the purpose of the Static Page plugin’s feature that creates a menu item which links to a single page :(

ea. I have “Static Page” titled “About” The Static Page plugin creates automagic menu item “About” in the Side Bar menu, under “Staic Pages”, and also in the top navbar labeled “About”.

I was suggesting similar feature (I guess plugin) that would create automagic menu item, in the top navbar that links to Category item of my choosing, which could display all pages in that Category.

ea. I have Category item called “Dogs”. Then I wish that the pages with Category “Dogs” could link to a single menu item “Dogs”, in the top navbar, so that I can display all pages in the Category “Dogs”.

Edit:
This suggestion refers to “display of menu items in adaptive format from “top navbar”.
When the CMS is displayed on a mobile devices, in a single column, then the top navbar menus help with navigation of the CMS and reduce scrolling to see other Menus that appear at the bottom of the CMS.
Edi
Site Admin

Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:34 pm

geonao wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:07 pm
So, the “Static Page” plugin creates (2) two menu items from the Static Page(s) – one in the Side Bar menu and another in the top navbar, and the Home Page menu item, in the side bar only that lists all published pages.
The navigation depends from the theme, also the plugins depend from the structure of the theme.

For example the themes Alternative and Blog X show in the navigation bar at the top links to all static pages.

The theme Alternative has no sidebar, the theme Blog X has a right sidebar to show additional menus.

The plugin Navigation shows links to the published content. At "Settings" you can select 1) if a link to the mainpage is shown or not, 2) how many menu items are shown.

The plugin Static Pages shows links to static content. In addition to the navigation bar at the top you can select at "Settings" if a link to the mainpage is shown or not.
I just don’t understand the purpose of the Static Page plugin’s feature that creates a menu item which links to a single page :(
The static content "About" is an example. You can add more static content. If you have for example a blog (published content) static content allows you to have additional pages for a "Privacy Policy" etc. Or you can have a website with static content and a news section with published content.
I was suggesting similar feature (I guess plugin) that would create automagic menu item, in the top navbar that links to Category item of my choosing, which could display all pages in that Category.
At the moment there is the plugin Categories that works with themes with a sidebar.

If you use the theme Alternative or Blog X the easiest way would be to add a link to the category manually.
Edit:
This suggestion refers to “display of menu items in adaptive format from “top navbar”.
When the CMS is displayed on a mobile devices, in a single column, then the top navbar menus help with navigation of the CMS and reduce scrolling to see other Menus that appear at the bottom of the CMS.
Which navigation? There is a navigation for static content... If you want for example a navigation for published content you can exchange the code in the template with code of the plugin Navigation.
geonao
Ssr. Bludit

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:30 pm

Thanks again for your, in depth, reply to my confusing suggestion :).

I also implement and play with Drupal CMF/CMS. So, I often get carried away with ideas from other worlds.

But, in this case, I was referring to the blogx theme, only.
I looked at the "navbar.php" and that's where my idea of Category item(s) menu came from:

Code: Select all

/bl-themes/blogx/php/navbar.php
Same ideas as the "Static Pages", but sort of "Static Categories" :)

Anyway, BLUDIT is a very nice idea for simple and db-less CMS . I enjoy plying with it and learn about it. Moreover, my Dutch mate (ex-PHP/CMS dev) took a peek at BLUDIT and he liked it too. He may even do a little review of the CMS, when he gets time away from his nerdy&geeky projects at: ezcontents.org

I'l try to utilize BLUDIT for my personal vlog/blog, when I get around to it.
Edi
Site Admin

Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:26 pm

geonao wrote:
Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:30 pm
Same ideas as the "Static Pages", but sort of "Static Categories" :)
Can you please explain it a little bit more? Static categories?

If I understand it, I can perhaps code a plugin. ;-)