Help to understand Pages, Posts, Menu, Blog, and generals settings

Renaud
Sr. Bludit

Hello,

I really like Bludit and want to use it, but I'm having trouble getting a clear picture of how the pages, posts and menus work :cry: .

I think this is the case for many novice users and I would like this post to become both a source of understanding for me, and a place to direct beginners (and perhaps one day information to put in the documentation).

Could you help me understand how to configure the basic theme to obtain different site structures?

Let's take the following starting situation:
  • I've just installed Bludit 3.15.0,
  • the "Alternative" theme is active,
  • there are 3 "normal" pages (Create your own content, Configure your new site, Follow Bludit)
  • there is 1 "static" page (About)
  • in the general settings there are the social networks twitter, facebook, github
  • in the general settings, the "blog" URL filter is grayed out/deactivated
On the website :
  • "normal" pages are displayed on the homepage, one below the other, in blog mode
  • the "static" page is displayed in the menu with the social network icons
  • there is no "homepage" menu, you have to click on the text logo to return to it.
Now I want to make a full static pages website always keeping the Alternative theme :
  • the "Configure your new site" page becomes the homepage
  • the other three pages are static, each with a link in the menu
  • a link to the homepage in the menu
  • no sub-menu
  • no network icons in the menu
➡ Set all pages to "static" in the advanced options of each page.
➡ Indicate the order of appearance in the menu in the advanced options of each page, starting with the "Configure your new site" page.
➡ In the site parameters, choose the "Configure your new site" page as the homepage.
➡ Change the titles of the pages in the top of the editor to change the menu texts, "Configure your new site" become "home", change the slug of the page to "home" : "rewriting URL" field, SEO tab in the Options of the page editor
➡ Delete all the social links in the general settings to remove them from the menu

==> OK, it works, but :
1/ the title of the homepage is "Home"
2/ the header of the template is not showing on the homepage.
==> Need some php modifications :?

Now I want to modify the above structure to :
  • Add an "Articles" page that appears in the menu
  • Remove "Create your content" and "Follow bludit" from the menu
  • Create your content" and "Follow bludit" become articles which are listed in the "Article" page
  • The menu is therefore "Home", "Articles", "About".
➡ I set "Create your content" and "Follow bludit" to default type in the advanced options of the page editor (default = post page).
➡ I create the "Articles" pages as a static page, with order 2
Change the slug of the "Article" page to "blog" : "rewriting URL" field, SEO tab in the Options of the page editor ("blog" seems to be hard-coded)
➡ "Home" is order 1, "Articles" is 2, "About" is 3

==> OK, it works, but :
1/ the title of the homepage is "Home"
2/ the header of the template is not showing on the homepage.
3/ the header of the template is showing on the articles page
4/ the slug of the articles page is "blog" (instead of "articles")
==> Need some php modifications :?

R.
Renaud
Sr. Bludit

Could you please help me to do the followings (theme Alternative) :?: (php I suppose)

1. Remove the title of the homepage when a static page is the homepage
2. Show the header on the homepage when a static page is a homepage
3. Don't show the header on the blog page when the blog page is not the homepage
4. Modify the slug of the blog page from /blog to /articles

Thank you very much.
R.